Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Camotes Islands, Cebu, Nature's Gift




Camotes Islands is a group of 4 islands (Pacijan, Poro, Pilar & Ponson). Pacijan or San Francisco (San Fran as locals call it) is the main and biggest among the four. "Kamote" is the local name for sweet potatoes and if you are wondering if these islands are called after it then you've guessed it right. They've even got a sweet shop that sells pastries all made from kamote. :) From Cebu City, there are ferries that sail straight to Camotes but I took the ferry from Danao, Cebu (almost 2 hrs. away from the city). My trip to Camotes was an unplanned stop. I just had finished from Malapascua when I thought I explore one more island before finally heading back to Dumaguete, my hometown. I was pleased to make that stop. Camotes is one of Cebu's back door jewels. Nature trips are definitely the thing to do here. The air seems much fresher too, maybe that's why I saw a lot of cyclists training here. Next time I go back, maybe I'll try cycling around the islands... :)

No comments: