Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Edinburgh - the inspiring capital of Scotland and the spectacular scenery of the Highlands.









Access to Skype and the Blogger website are indications that I’m in a truly free country. UAE claims to be an open and free country but that is debatable. I guess they mean it is a “free” country if you compare it to Saudi Arabia. What I’m trying to get at is, alas! I finally get to access my blog website and post stuff. Viva Brittania! Posted above first few photos from the thousands I will be posting shortly. The first two photos are from the scenic Loch Laggan ("Loch" according to Wikipedia is the Gaelic term for a lake or sea inlet), followed by the ruins of the 13th century Inverlochy Castle which has remained unaltered since it's construction. The next one is the mighty Glen Coe - mecca for outdoor activity lovers - this National Park gives open access to mountain bikers and trekkers. Seemingly, Scots refer to their mountains as Glen. I suggest you look it up in Wikipedia why they call it that way. :) Went to get a wee bit of culture in the National Museum of Scotland, the picture you see above is the Grand Gallery. The museum is massive, one could spend a day in it. My favorites were the astronomy area and somewhat the jurassic and endangered species area featuring fossils of creatures like the T-rex, dodos, elephants and tigers. Went to the museum's rooftop and saw a very nice 360 degree view of Edinburgh. The monkey statue with the tartan is just one of the statues displayed all over Edinburgh. There are also elephant, tiger and alligator statues. They showcase them all over the city to raise awareness of the endangered species. The statues are for sale and the money goes for the conservation project of the relevant animal statue that one buys. I would have loved to buy the Scottish monkey but I think I wouldn't be allowed it in the UAE. I might end up in prison, knowing my luck. All in all, the weekend trip to Scotland was brilliant apart from the rains which was expected. The UK weather altogether is unreliable. Edinburgh definitely made it to my list of favorite cities in the world. Haggis made it to my list of foods to be avoided. As for the locals I've come across so far, they are actually not as miserable as believed :) (I blame it on the weather). Judging from the few great Scottish mates I have in Dubai, they are the fun ones to have a pint or 5 of Guiness with! :)

No comments: